We Are Oz-Some
We have reached the half-way point – way to go! It’s now more than ever that our actors need to come prepared and focused. All actors should be off-book by this weekend. PLEASE encourage them to memorize their blocking and lines, to know all the songs learned to date, and to use the Electronic Resource Library to help with music and choreography. They are doing great, and we want to keep the momentum going. A shout-out to our actors for bringing their best selves each and every week. We commend our actors for their determination and dedication; it is admirable. Please read through below, as it is full of important information, dates, and upcoming events.
Electronic Resource Library
PLEASE share this with your actor. This section is designed to assist them between rehearsals. Happy practicing!
CLICK HERE FOR ELECTRONIC RESOURCE LIBRARY
4 Things you can do with Your Actor This Week
- In the car: listen to the CD and have them sing along (in character).
- Ask to review the ERL videos with them for 10 minutes, and then ask them to show you what they learned.
- Ask your actor to give you a “sneak peek” of one of the numbers and have them perform for you.
- Practice lines with your actor and act out a scene or two with them.
This week we focused on the idea of never giving up!
Emerald City & Ruby Slippers
- Now we are in the fun part of rehearsing. Well, it’s all FUN! But, as our actors get used to saying their lines off-book, the director is encouraging them to think more about their character and how they would talk, stand, etc. All the character development we worked on earlier in the process comes into play now. Our characters come alive with meaning, purpose, and personality.
- With that noted, continue working on physical characterization. Munchkins remember little steps and big gestures.
- Everyone…continue to reach out to your other characters on stage and “affect” them – with your voice and expression and physicality!
- Begin to “write out” your show! Actors should make a list of their entrances and exits and what costumes they wear and what props they might take on or off!
- And, as always, it is important for our actors to practice outside of rehearsals. Looking over their lines, blocking, music, choreography, etc. It makes it challenging to move forward if we have to keep reviewing what notes have been provided in previous weeks. We believe with some practice in between rehearsals our actors are going to nail it! Keep up the awesome work – we are so proud!
Our team has been working behind the scenes. Set design is in full effect, and so are our costumes and they are looking fabulous. Last week everyone should have received an email with costume fitting date and time slots. Here are the dates, so please mark your calendars:
- Emerald City will have costume fittings on Sunday, March 17 prior to rehearsals
- Ruby Slippers will have costume fitting on Sunday, March 24 prior to rehearsals
It’s Volunteer Time!
This week I also sent out an email with volunteer opportunities for each cast. It takes a village and I look forward to you jumping in and watching our teamwork unfold while we support our actors to ensure they shine on stage.
Spreading the Word
Next week I will be sending out the digital marketing kit. Please use the materials to help us ensure we have a packed house for our actors – so exciting! What about this…if each of us did one post that would be 60+ posts circulating on social media about ticket sales – let’s do it!
Purchase Your Tickets – Buy Early & Save!
Please spread the word about Wizard of Oz to friends and family.
CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS
Wizard of Oz-Themed Community Events
Find Your Toto: Sunday, March 3 from 12 – 2 pm.
Toto-themed adoption day with Humane Society of Dallas
- We are partnering with the Humane Society of Dallas County by hosting an adoption day at the J. Come see furry friends that need homes and maybe you end up with a new family member to call your own.
- In addition to the adoption event, we will be collecting donations for items needed by the Humane Society. Look for bins around the J to drop off canned dog and cat food, dried dog and cat food, cat toys, dog treats (medium to large), bleach, liquid laundry soap, dish soap, and Clorox wipes.
- Click here for more details
Wizard of Oz Movie Night & Dinner: Thursday, March 21 at 5 pm
- Come sing along and watch this iconic movie as we get ourselves excited and geared up for our live performances (April 4 – 14). It’s a great night to share with friends and/or family.
- $5 per person.
- Click here for details and to RSVP
Performing Arts Camps – StarQuest only has 5 spots left! StarPower has 10 spots left!
Pricing for camp increases after Friday, March 1. If you haven’t registered, take advantage of this opportunity to save. Like so many of our JPAS campers, camp is my favorite time of the year. And, for those who haven’t tried one of our performing arts camps, it truly is the best! Ask someone who has attended our performing arts camps and they will tell you – Camp StarQuest and Camp StarPower is where we make dreams come true! Want to learn more…call (214-239-7140) or email me (email@example.com). I would love to tell you all about it. Please register today to save your spot.
- Click here for to learn more about JPAS Camps, StarQuest, and StarPower.
- Click here for registration forms.
Looking forward seeing everyone this Sunday!