Finding inner balance through our senses
As an actor you are constantly in motion. Whether it’s taking direction, moving to a specific spot on stage, saying your lines, or singing with the ensemble. This week we worked on inner balance so that “constant motion” is attainable. Throughout all our specialty activities (acting, voice, dance, daily meditation moments) we worked on honing our skills, perking up our senses, and opened ourselves up to our potential and to others!
Here’s the Inside Scoop
The third week of camp is a complete “get grounded” week! Our campers worked on growing their “Alice in Wonderland” characters while memorizing their lines, blocking, and overall direction. To complement their hard work, tons of fun was enjoyed through our Camper/Counselor Day, Counselor talent show, and specialty moments of the week.
- Finished working on our song with our camp counselors – check out the Directors video!
- Played a bunch of music games to help release our creativity and inspire us:
- Musical charades
- Humming game
- Song writing game
- We continued with projection exercises. This was demonstrated with an exercise projecting our voice at increasing intervals while reciting the opening lines to Romeo and Juliet.
- The students did an improv exercise called “building the machine.” In this, students must build onto the actions and sounds of ours to make a “machine.” This exercise increases awareness of others and creativity.
- The students enjoyed a game called “the human knot.” The students take each others hands while in a circle and must “unknot.” This emphasizes communication and teamwork.
- Learned the dance break to “Seize the Day” from Newsies
- Learned how to do a battement (big kick) and hitch kick
- Split up into groups and created our own dances
Blocking, blocking, blocking. In preparation for next week’s performance, this is when the campers are off-book and they can really begin flowing through the show. Wednesday was a stumble through the whole show and today we did our first tech with lights, sound, and costumes! This is the time where the kids get to put all of their work into action and help shape the end product.
Ask your children about our compliment wall, and if they have given anyone a compliment. Ask them about the journals they made. Which counselor’s performance did they enjoy the most during our Counselor Talent Show Contest? Ask them about Camper Counselor Day.
Big Announcements, Dates, & More
Alice in Wonderland JR.
Tuesday, July 2 @ 6 pm
Every child will be given 4 complimentary tickets for their family and friends. They will be available for pick-up at Will Call on the day of the performance starting at 5:15. We want the house to be packed for our campers. Tickets are on sale now – click here. Tell your friends to come and support Camp StarQuest! Online sales will no longer be available after 12 pm on Monday, July 1, but tickets will be available at the door on the day of the performance.
Please remember how critical it is for your children to be here for all rehearsals. Since our time is limited to get this show up on its feet, strive for being present for all of it. At every rehearsal, campers will be learning new numbers.
Remainder Tech Schedule
- Monday, July 1 (all day)
- Tuesday, July 2 (all day) – final performance at 6 pm
As previously mentioned, these are mandatory rehearsals for the entire cast, and will take place during camp hours with the exception of Tuesday, July 2 (performance day).
On Tuesday, July 2, campers will NOT be picked up at the end of the day. They will stay at the JCC until after the performance and go home with you after the show which will end at around 8 pm. We will provide them dinner that evening too. Please note we have a SECRET happening for our campers at the end of the show. I will send an email out on Monday with more details. Oh and it’s a good one!!!! SHHH!
Like all Fridays at Camp StarQuest, we ended our day, today, with our traditional Friday appreciation circle. It’s amazing to see the bonds formed and the loving, fun Camp StarQuest community we created. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to spend the last few weeks with your awesome children. We are grateful and I speak for all of our fantastic StarQuest staff…we don’t want it to end. We have one more week left and we are beyond excited to make it A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.
Your children are shining brightly each and every day! Can’t wait for the adventure of Week 4!
Director Camp StarQuest